I am a doctoral candidate in the UCSD Psychology Department‘s Center for Brain & Cognition studying under Dr. Diana Deutsch and Dr. V.S. Ramachandran. I received my BA in Psychology with a minor in music from UC Berkeley in 2011. My research interests include music cognition, absolute pitch, synesthesia, auditory perception and misophonia.
Edelstein M, Brang D, Rouw R, Ramachandran VS (2013) Misophonia: physiological investigations and case descriptions. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. 7, 296. [view here]
Edelstein M (2011). Examining absolute and relative pitch as automatic processes via auditory-visual Stroop test. Yale Review of Undergraduate Research in Society. [view here]
PRESS & MEDIA
- KPBS, August 2013: Why Does the Sound of Chewing Make Some People Panic?
- Frontiers, January 2014: Top 10 Most Viewed Neuroscience Research Articles in 2013
- Leiden University, January 2014: Misophonia: When the Sound of Slurping Drives You Crazy
- Audiology Today, July/August 2014: The Misunderstood Misophonia
- Buzzfeed, August 2014: 22 Things Only People Who Hate Noise Will Understand
- The Trauma and Mental Health Report, November 2014: Patients with misophonia require help and understanding
- The Washington Post, December 2014: Misophonia is a newly identified condition for people hypersensitive to sound
- Star Tribune, December 2014: Noise hypersensitivity can cause misery
- The Independent (UK), December 2014: Does chewing, tapping and typing send you into a rage? You may be suffering from misophonia
- The Dallas Morning News, December 2014: For those with misophonia, sounds of the season can be awful
- 24 Horas News (Chile), December 2014: Misophonia: la condición que hace que te molesten los ruidos ajenos
- Chicago Daily Herald, December 2014: Bring down the noise: hypersensitivity makes family gatherings tough
- Stuff.co.nz, December 2014: Misophonia: Her not-so silent pain
- CNN Indonesia, December 2014: Misophonia, Ketika Suara Mengunyah Membuat Anda Gila
- Independent Online (South Africa), December 2014: Noises that make life unbearable
- Waterloo Record, December 2014: Hypersensitivity to certain sounds can make life unbearable
- Xataka Ciencia, December 2014: Misofonia: la insoportable tolerancia a los sonidos más cotidianos
- Uniontown Herald Standard, December 2014: Hypersensitivity to noise can make life unbearable
- Huffington Post, March 2015: Selective Sound Sensitivity: The Rap on Misophonia
- Slate, August 2015: Do Chewing Sounds Make You Crazy?